Sunday, April 18, 2010

Nightbreed


This was on Encore late last Friday night, and I caught it after a few beers and several scotches. Regardless, it immediately transported me back to my adolescence. I think I saw Nightbreed for the first time when I was about 13 or 14, and then it was just this awesome horror movie with tons of blood and guts and a crazy dark plot (way cool!). Watching it again, I could not help but notice that this movie was and is really a combination of blood-curdling elements that were successful in other horror films--a giant freak-fest-homage. Without spoiling it for you, there are bits of Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist, The Lost Boys, and just about every other vampire and zombie flick ever made. What more could one ask for, you say?—David Cronenberg plays the lead antagonist. Bam. Signed, sealed, delivered. If you even remotely consider yourself a classic gorror film fan, you must see Nightbreed. Of course, I recommend going in slightly sober, so as to fully appreciate and enjoy what a symphony of gorrificness this little old school gem stands for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

After graduating from the University of Texas Austin in 2000 with a degree in Radio-Television-Film, I spent five unsuccessful years in LA trying to make my way as a film/video FCP editor. After eventually coming to terms with failure (or defeat), I decided I’d try something else: law school. So, after completing my second year of study, I felt that I should try to do something a little more creative to balance out all the analytical thinking going on in my head. Smokin’ Joe’s in the MOW is the result of that effort. There’s an old joke that goes, “what do you call someone who desperately wants to be in a band, but sucks at guitar: a music critic.” I guess that's now me. While perhaps this all seems quite self-loathing, I fell it grants me the freedom to say just about whatever I feel like about OTHER people's creative efforts. While I have great respect for those with enough courage to go out and attempt to make films, sometimes you gotta call 'em as you see 'em. Cheers!